zimtor is a small architectural studio in Bozeman, Montana, run by Thor Arnold.
Our goal goal is to use planet and people friendly materials to build joyful, healthy, efficient, low-maintenance structures.
Our work is found throughout the inter-mountain West.
Our working palette includes the following:
• recycled materials wherever possible…..timbers, siding, interior/exterior trim, flooring, etc.
• engineered/sustainably harvested framing lumber
• NEXCEM wood-chip blocks (insulated concrete forms) without Styrofoam, stucco/sided exteriors with plastered interiors –
• plastered straw bales
• weathered steel panels
• TULIKIVI soapstone wood-stoves/fireplaces/masonry heaters – http://www.warmstone.com/
• alternative energy systems, solar/wind/micro-hydro.
This vocabulary typically leads towards a “zero-maintenance”, highly insulated “breathable” exterior wall-system. Roofs are often built in the “hot-roof” (non-ventilated) method, also highly insulated. The net result is a healthy, non-toxic structure.
all photos © zimtor architecture, llc
please DO NOT redistribute, as our clients must approve of any publication
zimtor architecture LLC
415 east birch street 406.581.1497 tel.